Monday, April 20, 2009

For Benjamin...in case you ever wonder

I am not sure how it happened, but I was granted the honor of determining my youngest son's first name. His middle name was to be a family name and subsequently he is named for one of his uncles. His last name, of course, was a given.

As a father and a writer, I'd like to think that there is universal significance in the names of my children. Despite having the pride of a father and the ego of a writer, I honestly have never been asked by anyone - not even my wife - the origin of my son's name. Benjamin, a.k.a Ben.

In a relaxed state of semi-conscious thought, I know exactly the origins of the name. It is as clear as the edges on a cloud. Having assigned myself the task of articulating it, however, is revealing the answer to be less coherent.

The most prominent Benjamin that I admire is, of course, Jack Benny. He was born Benjamin Kubelsky. Although we shared this earth for only five months (he died the day after Christmas in 1974 and I was born the previous July), Jack Benny was always a part of my life. He lived the life that I often daydream of having. Vaudeville. Radio. The advent of television. Jell-O commercials. He had it all.

Most people of my generation do not know or appreciate Jack Benny. Bob Hope? Sure. He lived forever. George Burns? Sure. He played God. Jack Benny? No. And why would they? He was long gone before the days of Desperate Housewives, Saturday Night Live! and YouTube.com.

But did you know...?

Jack Benny's band leader on his radio shows during its heyday was Phil Harris. Who, you ask? Phil Harris is perhaps better remembered today for looking for the bare necessities as the voice of Baloo in Disney's "Jungle Book".

A long-time co-star on Jack Benny's programs over the years was Mel Blanc. You may not recognize his name, but you know his voices. He is best known as the voice of such well-known characters as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Sylvester the Cat, Beaky Buzzard, Tweety Bird, Foghorn Leghorn, Yosemite Sam, Wile E. Coyote, Barney Rubble, Mr. Spacely, and hundreds of others.

Marilyn Monroe made her television debut on the Jack Benny program. A young Johnny Carson frequently guest starred on Jack Benny's television program. He was the king of situational comedy in the early days.

But, no, Ben is not named solely for Jack Benny. The decision was not nearly so simple.

The first book I remember reading as a child was Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos discovered, edited and illustrated by Robert Lawson. The book was a humorous retelling of many of the significant events in the life of Benjamin Franklin. Filtered through the pages of a children's book, Benjamin Franklin was the ultimate founding father. He discovered electricity with a kite. He invented a stove. Nearly every time he spoke, he was quoted.

To this day, I am fascinated by Benjamin Franklin, although now I know that he was perhaps not the ideal candidate for a children's book.

Finally, there is the sound of the name. Ben. Unimposing. Peaceful. Tender. Classic. It is unlike virtually any other name in defining the personality of a stoic, intelligent, confident, soft-spoken individual. All qualities that I imagined in my child. I am sure there are exceptions, but I do not recall any dictators, generals, serial killers or henchmen named Ben.

I know Ben's place as the son of Jacob and brother or Joseph in the Old Testament. Aside from the historical connotations inherently absorbed by any student of literature I cannot honestly say that biblical influences were at play.

Having just re-read my attempt to answer the origins of my son's name, it occurs to me that I have just barely scratched the surface. Perhaps, I should revert to a simpler explanation: I just always liked the name.

1 comment: